Tuesday, September 06, 2005

A Rolling Stone Gathers no Moss

The kids are almost all back to school today except Cara who is home with a stomach bug. I love my children but I have to say my personal space has been obsolete this summerwith all 5 home and one or another taking turns being bored or worse succombing to playstation and computer games for hours at a time.. They needed to be challenged again and I need time to blog.

I am turning 40 this year and suddenly all that confidence I felt in my 30's is melting away. You see I had gotten my head around communicating with kids, teachers and parents. I knew my role and felt secure in it. Now I have rejoined the work force and am learning that communicating with adults again in a professional manner takes effort, confidence and self promotion. It is rough to get your thoughts across in a non threatening way and even harder to get lots of other insecure and overworked people to see your point.

Suddenly at 40 I find myself feeling 18 (and like my 16 year old) making choices about the next 40 years. My mom is 84 and always says she feels like she did at 18 but is trapped inside a body she doesn't recognize. Maybe we never stop being teenagers with all the insecurities and questions about our futures. I guess maybe that is a good thing and keeps life interesting. No moss growing over me.

1 comment:

Eamonn Sullivan said...

I envy you. You had a period when you *did* feel confident...